Calvin is a solicitor in the Hong Kong office. Prior to qualification as a solicitor in 2009, Calvin worked as a paralegal and subsequently as a trainee at Charltons.
Calvin’s practice focuses on corporate finance and commercial transactions. In his legal work, Calvin represents clients in a variety of industry sectors including finance, mining and energy, insurance, medical, cosmetics, telecommunications, media and retail. He has extensive experience in advising clients (including listed and public companies, private companies as well as societies) on legal and regulatory compliance issues. Calvin has been involved in a number of mining and mineral acquisitions, takeovers and restructurings relating to projects in various jurisdictions. Calvin regularly advise clients on licensing applications and submissions to the Securities and Futures Commission relating to the carrying on of regulated activities. In terms of capital raising, Calvin’s work includes advising on initial public offerings and secondary listings, spin-offs, private placements as well as the issuance of debt and other debt financing or security transactions.
Calvin is ranked by IFLR1000 – The Guide to World’s Leading Financial Law Firms – as a “highly regarded” lawyer in the practice areas of “Capital markets: equity” and “Capital markets: debt”.
Selected recent experience include the following:
- advised sponsor and underwriters in relation to successful listing of True Partner Holding Limited (8657), Fu Shek Financial Holdings Ltd (2263) Excalibur Global Financial Holdings (8350), Zhi Sheng Group Holdings Ltd (8370), Medicskin Holdings Limited (8307) and China Singyes New Materials Holdings Ltd (8073) on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, as well as other spin-off transactions and pre-IPO consultations
- advised AIA Group Limited (1299) in connection with regulatory aspects of its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (Equity Market Deal of the Year, 2011 ALB Awards Hong Kong) as well as various post-listing compliance issues
- advised United Company RUSAL Plc (486), one of the world’s largest aluminium company, on legal and regulatory aspects of its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange as well as post-listing transactions (including very substantial acquisition/disposal and share swap) and ongoing legal and compliance issues
- regularly advise on fintech, cryptocurrency and blockchain related matters and token offerings including advised as Hong Kong counsel on the highly technical regulatory aspects in the proposed listing of Bitmain, the largest cryptocurrency mining hardware company and mining pool operator, on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Nasdaq, and advised the only SFC licensed digital asset platform in Hong Kong in relation to the legal and regulatory aspects and structuring of its proposed security token offering activities
- advised KVB Kunlun Holdings Limited (6877) on its transfer of listing from Growth Enterprise Market to Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- regularly advise on public and private debt issues and offerings; advised Singyes Solar Technologies Holdings Limited (750) and its international offering of US$420 million guaranteed senior notes listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange; advised Quam Limited, a HK listed financial services group, on first-of-its-kind open offer of unlisted notes and warrants and subsequently the issuance of short-term redeemable notes; advised Taiping Trustee Limited on a HK$288 million mortgage-backed secured notes
- regularly advise on public and private mergers and acquisitions, including:
- advised on the mandatory unconditional cash offer by Quam for and on behalf of Skill China Limited for all issued shares of Tonic Industries Holdings Limited
- advised Hong Kong listed Paladin (495) on successfully resisting a hostile takeover
- advised Zijin Mining Group, China’s largest gold producer, in connection with its takeover offer for ASX-listed Indophil Resources NL as well as various outbound equity investments, tenders and acquisitions for mineral assets and interests in different jurisdictions
- performed due diligence for two bidders in connection with the tender for insurance units of ING’s Asia operations in Hong Kong and Macau
- advised Saddleback Mining in relation to its equity investments in, and sale of coal and anthracite mining and exploration projects in Tajikistan to, a Hong Kong listed group
- advised CST Mining group in connection with a very substantial disposal of interests in the Mina Justa Project to Glencore International AG and subsequently to Cumbres Andinas S.A.
- regularly advise on private equity investments, transactions and joint ventures; advised Neiman Marcus group, one of the leading luxury retail department stores in the US, on its first strategic joint venture with Glamour Sales Holdings in Mainland China as well as subsequent restructurings; advised Anthem Asia on private placement of multiple-class convertible preference and exchangeable shares to fund opportunities in Myanmar; advised Thaicom in connection with its equity investments in, and sale of IPSTAR satellite bandwidth to, a Hong Kong listed group; advised Prime Asset Ventures Inc. in connection with equity investment in TVI Pacific Inc. and acquisition of controlling interests in its subsidiaries holding mineral projects and assets in the Philippines; advised GungHo Online Entertainment Inc., in connection with its equity investments in a Chinese mobile entertainment platform company
- regularly advise on licensing applications and SFC regulated activities; advised INTL FCStone group on its licensing application to carry out commodities and futures trading activities in Hong Kong; advised an US energy fund on its licensing application with the SFC and proposed Chapter 21 listing in Hong Kong
- advised a major Australian listed mineral company on a restructuring of a major magnetite subsidiary
- regularly advise China Taiping Insurance group on transactions (including revolving loans and banking facilities) as well as various legal and regulatory issues
- advised as Hong Kong counsel to Leyou Technologies Holdings Limited (1089) in relation to transactions involving video gaming development and equity investments in a gaming studio, Certain Affinity, and licensing arrangement with Hasbro, for the development of the Transformer game “
Company Commercial and Corporate Finance
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) (University of Melbourne)
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) (University of Melbourne)
Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (P.C.LL.) (City University of Hong Kong)
Admitted as a Solicitor in Hong Kong since 2009
Other Professional Qualifications and Awards
IFLR1000 – endorsed as a Leading Lawyer – “Highly regarded” in Capital Markets: Equity&Debt in 2022 and 2023
Legal500 – regarded as “Recommended lawyer 2023” in Commercial, corporate and M&A: independent Hong Kong law firms” (TIER2)
English, Cantonese and Mandarin