Annual retainer services
- Charltons’ extensive experience in corporate finance makes us uniquely qualified to provide a first class legal service
- Charltons have representative offices in Shanghai, Beijing and Yangon
- Charltons was named the “Corporate Finance Law Firm of the Year in Hong Kong ” in the Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award 2014
- “Boutique Firm of the Year” was awarded to Charltons by Asian Legal Business for the years 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- “Hong Kong’s Top Independent Law Firm” was awarded to Charltons in the Euromoney Legal Media Group Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2012 and 2013
- “Equity Market Deal of the Year” was awarded to Charltons in 2011 by Asian Legal Business for advising on the AIA IPO
- Excellent links and networks with law firms worldwide.
- Julia Charlton was named a “Leading Lawyer” by Asia Law & Practice for the years 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- “Asian Restructuring Deal of the Year” 2000 awarded to Charltons by International Financial Law Review for their work with Guangdong Investment Limited.
- Finalist for China Law & Practice’s “Deal of the Year (M&A)” 2007 for the work on Zijin Mining Group Co Ltd.’s bid for Monterrico Metals plc.
Team Profile: Julia Charlton
Julia Charlton – Partner
- Julia, LL.B (1st class Honours), A.K.C (Kings College, London) was admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales in 1985 and has practised as a solicitor in Hong Kong since 1987.
- Julia is a member of the Listing Committee of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and the Takeovers Panel and the Takeovers Appeal Panel of the SFC.
- Julia was named a “Leading Lawyer” by Asia Law & Practice for the years 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- Julia was named a “Leading Advisor” by Acquisition International for 2013.
- Julia was also named the “Capital Markets Lawyer of the Year – Hong Kong” in the Finance Monthly Global Awards 2014.
- Julia has extensive experience in China work and is a Mandarin speaker.
Scope of Work
- As legal adviser to Hong Kong listed companies, our scope of work include:
- Providing legal advice to the Company in relation to its continuing obligations in connection with its listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- Providing legal advice in relation to discloseable and connected transactions;
- Providing legal advice in relation to commercial and loan transactions
The Charltons’ Team
Providing legal advice on continuing obligations of Hong Kong listed companies:
- prepare or review announcements and circulars in relation to general and specific disclosure obligations
- advise on financial reporting obligations, including the preparation or review of annual and interim results announcement, and the review of draft annual and interim reports
- attend annual general meeting of the Company if necessary
- advise on the Hong Kong corporate governance requirements under the Hong Kong Listing Rules from time to time
- providing updates on amendments of the Hong Kong Listing Rules from time to time
Providing legal advice on discloseable and connected transactions:
- provide general advice to the Company in relation to discloseable and connected transactions under the Hong Kong Listing Rules from a Hong Kong legal perspective
- review and comment on announcements and circulars in relation to discloseable and connected transactions
- liaise with legal advisers in other jurisdictions (including PRC lawyers)
- negotiate with the Company, the printer and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in relation to the publication of announcements and circulars, if necessary
- Assist the Company in obtaining approval from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in relation to its announcements, if necessary
Providing legal advice on commercial and loan transactions:
- provide general advice in relation to the transaction framework from a Hong Kong legal perspective
- prepare/ review transaction agreements and ancillary documents
- conduct due diligence on the target company in the proposed acquisition
- liaise with legal advisers in other jurisdictions (including PRC lawyers), if necessary
- provide legal opinion for the Hong Kong company in relation to the relevant transactions
Charltons’ Team possess the following knowledge and experience:
- Experienced in transactions in relation to listed companies and Hong Kong legal requirements
- experienced in Hong Kong and PRC legal matters in relation to the transaction
- has a sound understanding of the Main Board Listing Rules of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- fluent in Putonghua
- experienced in mining industries
Mergers and Acquisitions
Charltons has extensive experience in Hong Kong corporate finance. As your Hong Kong legal adviser, we will be involved in:
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on all key legal deal documentation
- Advising on deal structure
- Coordinating due diligence
- Coordinating tender processes (in the case of auction sales)
- Advising on executive and employee compensation, post-closing integration and transition
- Advising on merger control and antitrust issues
- Preparing market and regulatory announcements
Our M&A Experience
Our recent M&A experience include:
- Advising a HK listed company on the proposed disposal of a major copper project in Peru to Glencore International AG
- Advising a UK company on the equity swap involving the disposal of coal and anthracite projects in Tajikistan for equity interests in Kaisun Energy Group Limited, a HK listed company
- Advising a major PRC State owned mining company listed on the Shanghai and HK Stock Exchange on the acquisition of the entire interest of Long Province Resources Limited, the owner of gold mining assets in China’s Gansu province
- Advising a HK GEM board listed company in respect of successfully defending a hostile takeover attempt by a shareholder of the company
- Advising the major shareholders of a HK listed company in connection with a restructuring mandatory unconditional cash offer and reverse takeover
- Advising a major US retailer in connection with acquisition of interests in a PRC and Asian based online retailer who are engaged in online sales of branded goods
- Advised a major Vietnamese group on the acquisition of the HK holding company owning five prestigious hotels in Vietnam
- Advised a Chinese Mining Consortium on the takeover of Monterrico Metals plc, a company listed on AIM with mining assets in Peru
- Advised a major insurance loss adjuster on the asset and business acquisition of GAB Robins, a group specialising in insurance appraisals in Hong Kong and Taiwan
- Advised a major PRC State owned mining company listed on the Shanghai and HK Stock Exchange on its takeover bid for Indophil Resources ML, an Australian publicly listed company and an explorer and developer of gold and copper-gold opportunities in the Asia-Pacific region, in particular, the Philippines
- Advised a major PRC State owned mining company listed on the Shanghai and HK Stock Exchange on its acquisition of Commonwealth British Minerals Limited, a joint venture between Avocet Mining Plc and the Tajikistan government to explore, exploit and develop gold deposits and other minerals in Tajikistan
- Advised a major PRC State owned mining company listed on the Shanghai and HK Stock Exchange on a possible tender offer to purchase a major gold-copper project in Chile
- Advised a major PRC State owned mining company listed on the Shanghai and HK Stock Exchange on its acquisition of 60% participation interest in Altynken Limited Liability Company which engages in gold explorations projects in the Kyrgyz Republic