Corporate finance, securities and derivatives, funds and M&A
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) (1st Class Honours, AKC) (Kings College, University of London)
Postgraduate Diploma in Organisational Leadership, University of Oxford
Certificate in MIT Fintech: Future Commerce, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
HBX Certificate of Negotiation Mastery
Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales since 1985
Admitted as a Solicitor in Hong Kong since 1987
- Member of the Takeovers and Mergers Panel and the Takeovers Appeal Committee of the Securities and Futures Commission (“SFC”);
- Member of the Disciplinary Panel (Panel A) of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants;
- Member of the Company Law Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society;
- Chairperson of the Eurocham Financial Services Business Council (“FSBC”);
- Member of the Working Party on Review of the Law Society’s Memorandum and Articles of Association;
- Member of The Hong Kong Club Long-Term Planning Group; and
- President of International Women’s Forum (“IWF”) Hong Kong.
- Member of the Listing Committee of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (2012-2018);
- Member of The Hong Kong Club Finance Sub Committee (2011-2018);
- Member of the Education Committee of the HKSI (2015-2018);
- Secretary of IWF Hong Kong (2016-2018);
- Member of the Examinations Committee of the HKSI (2007-2014);
- Member & Deputy Chairman of the Share Registrars Disciplinary Committee (2007-2013);
- Chair of the Legalink Committee (2011-2013);
- Treasurer, Friends of the London School of Economics in HK (2006-2013)
- Treasurer, IWF Hong Kong (2011-2013)
- Vice-Chair of the Legalink Committee (2009-2011);
- Member of the Securities Law Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society (up to 2011);
- Member of the Editorial Committee of the HKSI, up to end of 2007;
- Former Deputy Chairman of the Standards and Ethics Committee of the Hong Kong Institute of Directors (“HKIOD”);
- Hong Kong Inland Revenue Board of Review (up to end of 2007);
- Non-executive director, Shandong Infrastructure Company Limited (listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange);
- Member of the Committee on Publishing of Guidelines on Corporate Governance for SMEs (2003) for the HKIOD; and
- Member of Edinburgh Napier University Vice Chancellor’s Asian Advisory Committee.
English and Mandarin (Business spoken)
Julia Charlton was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1985 and has practised as a solicitor in Hong Kong since 1987 and is an experienced practitioner in the field of corporate finance, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity investment, securities, derivatives and funds. Julia is a Mandarin speaker and vastly experienced in private equity investment in the PRC, advising European, US and Hong Kong based funds on investment in a range of sectors. Julia has worked with companies in the mining and minerals sectors on a variety of deals.
Julia, a corporate finance lawyer, advises regulators, financial institutions and listed companies on the listing rules of both the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited and GEM. She is experienced in the fields of securities law, capital markets, private equity, M&A, investment funds, restructuring and regulatory issues.
Julia Charlton is a senior fellow of the Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute, a member of the Takeovers and Mergers Panel and the Takeovers Appeals Committee of the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission, a member of the Disciplinary Panel (Panel A) of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants, a member of the Company Law Committee of the Hong Kong Law Society and a member of the Working Party on Review of the Law Society’s Memorandum and Articles of Association.